Friday, October 06, 2006

OK - Why Do Most Technical People Believe Selling Is Easy?

I am not sure why so many technical people who have never sold, never presented in front of group of people or never will be able to lead silent prayer in a phone booth are so certain selling is so easy.

Here is a good one. I met a vice president of sales for a company based on the west coast for lunch. I offered to help because a friend referred him to me.

The company was looking to expand in Atlanta Georgia. Probably the toughest market to crack in terms of IT services sales. Companies like Unisys, IBM, CSC, Keane, Perot and others have suffered. Some have opened and closed doors on multiple occasions. The point is - it's tough selling here.

Anyway, back to the lunch. I ask this VP how long he's been in sales. He replies, "I never really was in IT services sales. I was an auditor and I came in and was able to help open up our west coast office, it grew, so they promoted me to VP of Sales, because there wasn't one.

I said, "Now isn't that an interesting strategy." Not a question - just a statement.

I then asked, "What kind of sales people are you looking for."

His reply - and you experienced sales professionals are going to love this - "I want a hard working sales person, who has a Rolodex of people who can get us appointments and close business."

I looked at him and started to stare. I said, "Do you mind if I get out my pen? I have just got to capture this." I then asked, "Why would someone who has the contacts and has the ability to close business and get appointments come to your company?

He said, "Well, because we have a really good offering and service."

I said, "That's great. So what does your service do? What makes it so great?"

He said, "You really ask tough questions."

I said "The sales people I know who you might want to come work for you are going to asking the same thing. If you cannot answer this - they will not come and join you. Sso what will make them jump?"

"We pay a great commission," he said.

I said, "Well what does the pay structure look like?"

He hemmed and hawed and said, "Anything we need it to be."

"How about $150,000 base? Is that right?" I asked

"I am not sure." was his reply.

This was obviously a pitiful conversation from a person who never sold, does not know what it will take to drive sales and develop a marketing strategy for the territory. Selling is so easy - that I have the easiest of all tests. I ask technical people to go grab their phone and get me two appointments. I'll give you two days. Three if you really need it. But the meetings have to be with someone who has a need and is going to buy something in the next six months.

The truth is - I never hear from the people again. And if I do see them, I ask them, do we have that appointment yet? Of course this is not my best Dale Carnegie impression.

No comments: