Saturday, December 23, 2006

Four Types of People




An Old Hindu Proverb We Should All Know
Here's one from an old Hindu proverb:

Men are four;
He who knows not and knows not he knows not,
He is a fool - shun him;

He who knows not and knows he knows not,
He is simple - teach him;

He who knows and knows not he knows,
He is asleep wake him;

He who knows and knows he knows,
He is wise - follow him!
This has been translated into modern day language as;
The person who does not know and does not know that they do not know.
The person who knows that he does not know.
The person who does not know that he does know.
The person who knows and knows that they know.

Or finally, said another way;
The Unconscious Incompetent
The Conscious Incompetent
The Unconscious Competent and ...
The Conscious Competent

Which one are you?
And which one would you rather be? Most will say "I'd rather be the 'Conscious Competent' person." Others will say, "I am the 'Conscious Competent' person already."

"Oh really ...", I would reply as more of a question.

Isn't the risk of thinking you are the "Conscious Competent" person dangerously close to being the "Unconscious Incompetent" person?

Think about that for a minute or two. You may think you are "Conscious Competent" and therefore never try to learn and grow. And then, after some time, you become the "Unconscious Incompetent."

Think hard on that. For me, I am going to remain in the category, "Conscious Incompetent" so that I never to approach life from the point of view of, "Maybe I don't know everything." This way I may remain teachable and never become enamored with my intelligence.

I told a friend of mine this, and he said, (I believe in some jesting manner), "Don't worry Murphy. You won't become enamored with your own brains. That would be like being enamored with the way you look." Thanks friend. I need all the esteem building comments I can possibly get.

THANKS! Joe Murphy

No comments: